Resume for Larry Swanson, LMP
January 1999-present (sole proprietor)
High-end, independent massage practice focusing on injury treatment, pain management, stress management, client education, and health maintenance. Thousands of hours of experience and hundreds of hours of training in Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, myofascial release, neuromuscular “trigger point” technique, and craniosacral. Certified in orthopedic massage. Teach very popular couples/partner massage classes.
Teaching Assistant, Center for Pain Management
September 2006-November 2010
Assisted James Waslaski in his orthopedic massage classes, working with students on orthopedic assessment, treatment techniques, and exercise and self-care instruction.
Teaching Assistant, Brian Utting School of Massage
Conducted technical evaluations of students. Assisted with business curriculum.
Massage Center of Bellevue
June 2003-January 2004 (employee)
Both spa-style relaxation and wellness massage and clinical injury-treatment massage.
University of Oregon
B.A., summa cum laude, 1984
Magazine journalism major (William Gurney Memorial Award for Outstanding Senior Man). English minor. Phi Beta Kappa.
Brian Utting School of Massage
Rigorous 1,000-hour, AMTA/COMTA-accredited, professional massage licensing program. In addition to in-class practice hours, logged over 300 hours of audited outside practice. Electives included two injury-treatment workshops.
Massage Continuing Education
(Total hours through October 2013: 758)
- Engaging the Neurofascial Matrix of the Shoulder Area (8 CEUs), Stephen Evanko, October 2013
- Fascial Architecture of the Abdomen (4 CEUs), Marty Ryan, July 2013
- Introduction to Pain, Nociception, and Nerves (7 CEUs), Geoffrey Bove, November 2012
- Engaging the Neurofascial Matrix of the Lower Extremity (8 CEUs), Stephen Evanko, October 2011
- Engaging the Neurofascial Matrix (9.5 CEUs), Stephen Evanko, June 2011
- Professional Ethics for Bodyworkers (6 CEUs), Cortiva Institute, December 2010
- Orthopedic Massage Intensive (8 CEUs), James Waslaski (Teaching Assistant), November 2010
- The Most Common Cause of Low-Back Pain (1 CEU), Ben Benjamin, March 2010
- The Future of Massage – Panel Discussion (3 CEUs), Jack Blackburn, et al., November 2009
- Orthopedic Massage Intensive (40 CEUs), James Waslaski, November 2009 (Teaching Assistant)
- Orthopedic Massage for the Upper Body (8 CEUs), James Waslaski, May 2009 (Teaching Assistant)
- Massage Ethics (6 CEUs), Shirley Henderson, February 2009
- Orthopedic Massage Intensive (22 CEUs), James Waslaski, October 2008 (Teaching Assistant)
- Orthopedic Massage for the Lower Body (20 CEUs), James Waslaski, August 2008 (Teaching Assistant)
- Orthopedic Massage for the Upper Body (20 CEUs), James Waslaski, June 2008 (Teaching Assistant)
- Orthopedic Massage for the Upper Body (24 CEUs), James Waslaski, November 2006 (Teaching Assistant)
- Orthopedic Massage Intensive (40 CEUs), James Waslaski, October 2006
- Orthopedic Massage for the Lower Body (20 CEUs), James Waslaski, September 2006 (Teaching Assistant)
- Integrative Medicine (18 hours), Andrew Weil, M.D., July 2006
- Myofascial Approaches for Low Back Pain (18 CEUs), Robert King, June 2006
- Managing Complex Personal Injury Cases (1.5 CEUs), Cydney Campbell-Webster, May 2006
- Effectively Managing Your Personal Injury Cases (Advanced Course) (3 CEUs), Richard Adler, April 2006
- Guidelines for Therapeutic Sports Massage (3 CEUs), Pat Archer, April 2006
- Future Health Care Trends (2 CEUs), Randy Snyder, April 2006
- Orthopedic Massage for the Lower Body (24 CEUs), James Waslaski, November 2005
- Orthopedic Massage Intensive (36 CEUs), James Waslaski, October 2005
- Orthopedic Massage for the Upper Body (20 CEUs), James Waslaski, September 2005
- Working with a Personal Injury Attorney (1.5 CEUs), Brian J. Peschel, September 2005
- Deep Muscle Therapy (24 CEUs), Catherin Maxwell, Lauren Christman & Pat O’Rourke, July 2005
- Establishing Credibility through Credentialing & Certification – Panel Discussion (3 CEUs), May 2005
- Onsen Technique Volume II: Functional Assessment and Correction of the Lower Extremities (20 CEUs), Julie Bacon, April 2005
- Onsen Technique Volume I: Structural Assessment and Correction of the Lower Extremities (20 CEUs), Julie Bacon, November 2004
- The Ethics of Touch (3 CEUs), Ben Benjamin, October 2004
- Dissection of the Forearm, Wrist, and Hand (4 CEUs), David Kent, October 2004
- Headaches: Types, Triggers, and Treatment (4 CEUs), David Kent, October 2004
- Myoskeletal Alignment Techniques (18 CEUs), Erik Dalton, August 2004
- Monthly tutorials on advanced clinical massage with Pat O’Rourke, Brian Utting School of Massage, January 1999-2004 (total of more than 100 hours)
- Massage Research Symposia on pregnancy massage and massage and cancer (2 CEUs each), February-March 2004
- Lymphatic Techniques for Injury Rehabilitation (18 CEUs), Dale Perry, January 2004
- Massage and Trauma (3 CEUs), Pat O’Rourke, January 2004
- Fascial Work in the Cranial Rhythm (8 CEUs), Pat O’Rourke, November 2003
- Managing the Personal Injury Case (5 CEUs), Richard Adler, October 2003
- Anatomy Trains (21 CEUs), Thomas Myers, October 2003
- Hands Heal: The Proof is in the SOAP Charts – Advanced Class (5 CEUs), Diana Thompson, June 2003
- Medical Insurance Billing (3 CEUs), David Luther, Apr. 2003
- Professional Development (3 CEUs), AMTA-Washington, Apr. 2003
- Ethics & Professionalism (2 CEUs), Applied Health Seminars, Dec. 2002
- Introduction to Shiatsu (8 hrs), Yasuo Mori, Feb. 2002
- Craniosacral I (24 CEUs), Hugh Milne, Dec. 2001
- Craniosacral II (24 CEUs), Bruno DuCoux, Mar. 2001
- Private cadaver lab review tutorial (3.5 hrs) with Rod Diehm, Brian Utting School of Massage, May 2000
- Visceral Manipulation: Abdomen (8 CEUs), Bruno DuCoux, Mar. 2000
- Craniosacral I (24 CEUs), Bruno DuCoux, Mar. 2000
- TouchPro chair massage seminar (17 CEUs), David Palmer, Jan. 1999
- Nationally certified, National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)
- Professional member, American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA)
- Certified in Orthopedic Massage by The Center for Pain Management
- Founder, Medical Massage Alliance (Seattle-based peer supervision and professional development group; now disbanded)
- Organizer, Fremont Noodle House Group, networking events for independent professionals, 1998-present.
- Associate Producer, TEDxRainier, preproduction and on-site event production, 2011
- “Compassion Ambassador” Concierge, Seeds of Compassion, customer support for high-level (>$10K) event sponsors, 2008
- Seattle Liaison, Executives on Auction, local promotion and networking for an innovative Canadian charity, 2003.
- Arts Volunteer
- Moisture Festival, 2008-present
- Northwest Folklife, 2007-present
- Fremont Arts Council (Fremont Solstice Parade), 1999-present.
- Independent world music & dance event promotion, 2001-2013.
- Seattle World Percussion Society (World Rhythm Festival), 1999-2003. Board member 2001-2003.
- Bumbershoot, 1993-1999
- Juror, National Educational Media Network, reviewed and rated educational software and websites, 1995-1997.
Curious, eclectic generalist with interest in the interwebs, business, world music (especially West African percussion, which I have studied and performed for fourteen years), personal growth and development, life hacking, social psychology, tai chi, public speaking, improv, and event management. Lifelong learner. Nice guy.